- 150 milliliters lager
- 1 medium egg
- 130 grams plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 avocados
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 medium tomato (deseeded and chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped, reserve 4 slices before chopping)
- 150 grams reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1.5 liters oil
- 6 parsnips (peeled and thinly sliced lengthways)
- 500 grams skinless cod fillet (cubed)
- Mix the beer and egg. Place 3/4 cup of the flour in a bowl with salt and sugar and mix in the liquid. Leave to rest for about 30 mins. For the guacamole, mash the avocados with lemon juice, chopped tomato (reserve a little for garnish) and half the chopped garlic. For the aioli, mix the mayonnaise with the remaining chopped garlic. Cover the dips with plastic wrap and chill.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and fry the parsnips in batches for 3-4 mins until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
- Season the fish and toss in the remaining flour. Dip into the beer & egg batter and fry in the hot oil for about 5 mins. Drain on paper towels. Briefly fry the garlic slices in the hot oil. Garnish the aioli with the garlic slices and the guacamole with the reserved tomato and serve with the fish and parsnip chips.