Make your own salsa for your next get-together. Adjust heat and chunkiness to suit your style. Serve with Quarterback Quesadillas or with tortilla chips.
- 1 onion (large, peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (peeled and cut in half)
- 4 jalapeno chiles (seeded and diced, use rubber gloves when handling hot peppers)
- 8 plum tomatoes (cored and cut in half)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 long green chiles (seeded and diced)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1 cup water
- black pepper
- In a large, heavy heatproof pan, spread the onion, garlic, jalapenos, and tomatoes. Drizzle olive oil over all. Place pan under the broiler and cook until tomatoes are charred, about 8 minutes. Remove and cool to room temperature. Place mixture in a blender or food processor. Add lime juice, cumin, cilantro and water. Process until well combined and slightly chunky, but not completely liquified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.