- 4 ounces vegetable oil
- 4 pounds pork butt (2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 inch onions
- 20 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 cups coconut (vinegar, palm)
- 2 teaspoons annatto seeds (soak in ½ cup of boiling water for 30 minutes, strain)
- 1 1/2 cups soy sauce (light)
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns (crushed)
- 12 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1. Sear pork in oil until brown on all sides. Reserve.
- 2. Sauté onions in remaining oil, add garlic, add meat – cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- 3. Add vinegar, and strained annatto liquid.Cook for 3 minutes.
- 4. Add soy sauce, peppercorns, bay leaves, sugar, and enough water to cover pork by a ½-inch.
- 5. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook until tender, skimming often.
- 6. Taste and adjust sauce seasoning with soy and vinegar.