Fig Bread with Black PepperLa Cocina de Babel
This rustic white bread features dried figs and is made with olive oil for a bread with a light texture that will pair beautifully with whatever you are serving for dinner tonight. This recipe includes instructions for preparation of the dough in a bread maker or a mixer. You can make this delicious bread into individually sized rolls or into a single free-form loaf. Just make sure you adjust the bake time accordingly!
- 650 grams strong flour
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 grams yeast (dried)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 450 milliliters water (tepid)
- 200 grams dried fig (chopped)
- 1To prepare using a food mixer, place all the ingredients into the bowl, except the figs, in the exact order above. (For a bread maker, reverse the order, adding the liquids first and then the solids)
- 2Mix on a slow setting for 4 minutes, and then increase the speed for another 4 minutes. (For the bread maker, set the program for 15 minutes.)
- 3Lightly grease a large bowl, cover and leave to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 4Once the dough has risen, add the figs and gently work into the dough.
- 5Cut the dough in half and form into balls.
- 6Place the dough balls on a floured a baking tray and lightly sprinkle with a little flour.
- 7Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- 8Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- 9Before placing in the oven, score the dough with a bread knife, making 2 or 3 cuts on the surface.
- 10Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and the base sounds hollow when tapped.
- 11If making one single loaf, increase the baking time to 40–45 minutes.
PER SERVING *
|Calories780Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.