Studded with chopped dried figs, this yeast bread would make an excellent addition to a cheese board, or you could simply slice and serve with a wedge of cheese as a Spanish-style dessert course, accompanied by a glass of dry sherry. It’s also great toasted and topped with a spreadable cheese like ricotta for breakfast. To give it a glossy sheen, an egg wash made of yolk and milk is brushed over the dough before baking.
- 220 grams warm water
- 15 grams fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoonsalt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 grams white flour
- 8 dried figs (cut in small pieces)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- cheese (to accompany)
- Put all the ingredients in the mixer bowl, and knead for 7 to 8 minutes at low speed. to get a very elastic, and not too sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough into a large bowl. Cover with a damp cloth, and leave in a warm, draft-free place.and let rise to double in size. About 1 hour to 1 /12 hours.
- Place the dough on a slightly floured surface, and with your fists press it down to remove the gas.
- Shape the bread by kneading, and place in a loaf pan lined with parchment paper, or in a cake mold as pictured.
- Let rise for another 30 minutes, covered with a moist cloth.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of milk, brush this mixture on the loaf to gild.
- Using a very sharp knife, make a few cuts on the top of the loaf.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until well browned.
- Serve hot or cold with cheese.
|Calories510Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.