Not sure what to serve to your vegetarian friends? Try this vegetarian sausage, made with dried fruits and nuts, held together with sweet honey and flavored with a touch of Brandy. In a blender, chop up your almonds and figs until they create a smooth paste. Quickly add in your chopped apricots, Brandy, and honey to the mixture; then, roll and leave in a cool place. Slice thinly and place your sausage on some crackers for a fresh tasting appetizer. Best of all, this can be made up to 3 days ahead of time!
- 2 bunches chard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ground black pepper
- 1 roll puff pastry
- 1 package feta cheese
- 30 grams pine nuts
- 1 egg yolk
- Remove chard leaves from stalk, chop coarsely.
- Wash several times in water, and cook in a pan with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Cook until the water has evaporated, Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Roll out puff pastry, and spread in a rectangular baking tray. Cut out rectangular shape if necessary.
- Create a line of chard leaves in the middle of the dough.
- Top with crumbled feta and pine nuts.
- Cut diagonal strips (width 1.5 cm) in the dough, on each side of the line of chard leaves.
- Fold a strip taken from the right side, and then another from the left side, over the chard and cheese mixture, to form a braid (see photo).
- Brush with egg yolk.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden.
PER SERVING *
|Calories170Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.