Feta, Chard, and Pine Nut Pastry Braid AppetizerOn dine chez Nanou
Not sure what to serve to your vegetarian friends? Try this vegetarian sausage, made with dried fruits and nuts, held together with sweet honey and flavored with a touch of Brandy. In a blender, chop up your almonds and figs until they create a smooth paste. Quickly add in your chopped apricots, Brandy, and honey to the mixture; then, roll and leave in a cool place. Slice thinly and place your sausage on some crackers for a fresh tasting appetizer. Best of all, this can be made up to 3 days ahead of time!
- 2 bunches chard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ground black pepper
- 1 roll puff pastry
- 1 package feta cheese
- 30 grams pinenuts
- 1 egg yolks
- 1Remove chard leaves from stalk, chop coarsely.
- 2Wash several times in water, and cook in a pan with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- 3Cook until the water has evaporated, Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 6Roll out puff pastry, and spread in a rectangular baking tray. Cut out rectangular shape if necessary.
- 7Create a line of chard leaves in the middle of the dough.
- 8Top with crumbled feta and pine nuts.
- 9Cut diagonal strips (width 1.5 cm) in the dough, on each side of the line of chard leaves.
- 10Fold a strip taken from the right side, and then another from the left side, over the chard and cheese mixture, to form a braid (see photo).
- 11Brush with egg yolk.
- 12Bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden.
PER SERVING *
|Calories170Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.