- 4 strips bacon
- 2 fennel bulbs (with fronds)
- 1 cup purple cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup green cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 4 scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 jalapeno chile (finely minced, seeds removed)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook bacon until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside to cool. While the bacon is cooking, chop fennel fronds to yield 3 tablespoons. Set aside (discard remaining fronds).
- Quarter, core, and thinly slice fennel bulbs. In a large bowl, combine sliced fennel, cabbage, and scallions. Crumble in bacon. In a small bowl, whisk fennel fronds, mayonnaise, vinegar, orange juice, sugar, jalapeno, oregano, and cumin. Stir dressing into cabbage mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.