Breadsticks are so versatile and universally adored, it's worth adding this recipe to your regular rotation and making them whenever you need a not-the-usual snack, or to serve with cocktails, salads, soups, or other dishes where a crunchy accompani…
ent would improve the enjoyment. These are seasoned with fennel seeds, for a classic flavor profile, and they are great fun to make. Just be sure not to overwork the dough when mixing, and to allow it ample time to rest before rolling, cutting, and baking.
- 250 grams all purpose flour
- 130 milliliters water
- 8 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 5 grams salt
- 25 grams extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1/2 barley (level tsp. malt)
- extra-virgin olive oil (for brushing)
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Place the flour on a work surface and make a well in the center.
- Place the water, the yeast, the salt, and the oil in the well and knead for approximately 8 to 10 minutes. The dough should not be too soft.
- Shape the dough into a loaf and then roll it out into a rectangular sheet and brush it with olive oil.
- Cover the dough and let it rise for 60 minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into sticks approximately 2 centimeters wide. Rub each strip of dough between your fingers to make them thinner and longer.
- Place the breadsticks on a baking sheet, leaving some space between each and sprinkle them with the fennel seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the breadsticks from the oven and serve.
|Calories340Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.