Fast-off-the-Grill Chorizo QuesadillasPork
Chorizo is a flavorful Mexican sausage that can be found in speciality grocery stores and some large supermarkets. This is a great starter for your outdoor gathering.
- 3/4 pound Mexican-style pork chorizo sausage
- 5 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- 16 ounces refried beans (black bean)
- 1/2 pound colby cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (loosely packed)
- olive oil (For brushing)
- 1 1/2 cups tomatillo salsa (store-bought, see cook's note)
- 1Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Use a spatula to crumble the chorizo as you place it in the pan. Sauté the chorizo until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the chorizo from the skillet to a plate.
- 2Arrange 5 tortillas on a work surface. Spread about 1/4 cup refried beans evenly over half of each tortilla, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Scatter about
- 31/3 cup cooked chorizo over beans. Scatter a generous 1/3 cup of cheese over top. Divide and arrange cilantro over top of cheese. Fold opposite half of tortilla over the filling. (The quesadillas can be assembled up to 1 hour before serving. Cover loosely with plastic wrap so they don’t dry out, and
- 4set aside at room temperature.)
- 5Prepare a medium fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill on medium. Brush outsides of tortillas with a small amount of oil. Using a wide spatula, transfer quesadillas to the grill. Grill on one side for about one minute, slide and turn quesadillas 90 degrees, grilling until nice cross-hatch grill marks appear. Slide spatula underneath to flip quesadillas and grill the second side. Transfer the quesadillas to a cutting board. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut the quesadillas into 5 wedges. Arrange on a platter and serve immediately accompanied with the tomatillo salsa.
- 6Serves 8.
PER SERVING *
|Calories480Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.