Farinheira Sausage Roll-upAs receitas lá de casa
These sausage pinwheels are just right for serving with drinks, their salty taste fueling the fire for boozy refreshment, and vice versa. The savory filling is made with traditional Portuguese farinheira sausage meat that's removed from the casings after the sausages are boiled. (Save that flavorful cooking water for cooking rice or other grains.) Puff pastry is used for the crust, and it is a foolproof way to flaky perfection.
- 2 farinheiras (or similar)
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1 egg yolks
- 1With a fork, pierce sausages 2-3 times.
- 2Simmer sausages in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- 3(Tip: Reserve farinheiras broth to cook white rice and serve with meat).
- 4Remove the sausages from the pan, remove skin and set aside stuffing.
- 5Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- 6Roll out the cold puff pastry into a rectangle.
- 7Cut rectangle into two smaller rectangles.
- 8Place the sausage filling lengthwise on 4 rectangles.
- 9Roll up dough and press ends together and seal with a bit of water.
- 10Cut the rolls of pastry into slices, each about 3 cm (approximately 11/4 inches) thick.
- 11Brush with egg yolk and bake until pastry is golden brown.