Falafel is a delicious Middle Eastern dish that is loaded with bold flavors and plant-based protein. The combination of chickpeas fresh herbs create a creamy interior, while frying them in olive oil gives them a crisp exterior. A light yogurt and mint dip is the perfect pairing for the filling falafel. Try these on top of a salad or in a pita with fresh veggies, drizzled with the yogurt mint sauce.
- 250 grams dried chickpeas
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- mild olive oil (for frying)
- 1 plain yogurt
- fresh mint
- 1Soak dry chickpeas in plenty of water for 12-24 hours.
- 2Drain chickpeas and rinse.
- 3Grind chick peas, chopped onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, salt, spices, baking powder and one cup of water until a thick dough forms.
- 4Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 5If dough is too soft, add breadcrumbs, as needed.
- 6Heat olive oil in a frying pan.
- 7Shape falafel dough into mini patties.
- 8Fry over medium-high heat until golden brown, for about 5-7 minutes.
- 9For the dipping sauce, finely grind fresh mint and season to taste with lemon juice, salt, pepper and yogurt.