Super rich scalloped potatoes are the perfect side to complete your holiday meal.
- 2 1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- black pepper
- 1 ounce grated parmesan
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Spray a 9” square casserole dish liberally with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice the potatoes uniformly 1/8” thick. Mince the garlic clove.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, just until fragrant.
- Add the flour to the pot. Whisk to combine the batter and flour into a thick paste. Continue whisking for 1 minute, until the roux turns slightly golden and begins to smell toasty. Slowly stream the milk and heavy cream into the pot while continuing to whisk.
- Cook the mixture, whisking steadily for 4-5 minutes, until it begins to thicken and bubble.
- Once bubbling, turn off the heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and black pepper to taste. Add the grated parmesan and whisk slowly the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Arrange 1/2 of the potatoes in the casserole dish an even layer. Lightly season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Pour 1/3 of the cheese sauce on top. Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese. Repeat with the remaining potatoes slices, sauce, and shredded cheese.
- Transfer the casserole dish to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the scalloped potatoes for 40-45 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and the dish is bubbling and browned on the top.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Allow the dish to cool for ten minutes before serving.
- Use a large spoon to plate the scalloped potatoes, and serve.