- 5 cups powdered sugar (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1Add sugar, butter and cocoa to Bowl of KitchenAid® Artisan Stand Mixer. Attach Bowl and Flat Beater to Mixer. Turn to Speed 3 and mix until smooth and well blended. Stop and scrape bowl.
- 2Turn to Speed 4 and slowly drizzle in cream and milk; mix until well blended. Stop and scrape bowl. Add vanilla and espresso powder; mix until well blended.
- 3Chef's tip: If buttercream appears dry, add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. If it appears too thin, add more powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.