If you are searching for the perfect side dish to pair with your favorite meat main dish, then try this recipe for Einkom Wheat and Old-Fashioned Vegetable Gratin. This recipe combines the heartiness of Jerusalem artichokes, parsnips, cheese and almond cream for a decadent dish that is out of this world. This is a mouthwatering way to start a meal. You can make it in individual mini-baking dishes for a more formal dinner option.
- 250 grams einkorn wheat
- 5 jerusalem artichokes
- 1 parsnip
- olive oil
- cream (20 cl. almond)
- 100 grams Tomme cheese
- olive oil
- Rinse the einkorn and cook it for about 45 minutes in salted water.
- Peel the the Jerusalem artichokes and parsnip. Julienne the vegetables then finely dice the julienned matchsticks.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Heat a wok and pour in a little bit of olive oil. Add the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring regularly. The vegetables should be cooked through but remain firm.
- Once the einkorn is cooked, add it to the vegetables. Pour in the almond cream and cook over very low heat. The cream will be absorbed by the einkorn. Adjust the seasonings and add the parsley. Spoon into mini-baking dishes.
- Cut thin slices of Tomme. Place them over the einkorn and vegetables.
- Bake for a few minutes. They will be ready once the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and serve.