When you are craving a hearty and decadent dish and you need something that the whole family will enjoy, then try this recipe for Eggplant and Veal Parmesan. The veal cutlets and eggplant are breaded and fried up to a crispy perfection. They are seasoned and topped with salty and savory cheeses. Serve these up with your favorite light pasta side dish, rolls, and a salad for a succulent meal that will bring everyone to the table.
- 4 veal cutlets
- olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 400 grams tomato paste
- sage (to taste)
- 1 eggplant (large)
- 2 mozzarella balls (buffalo)
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Heat a skillet with a little olive oil.
- Season the veal with salt and pepper.
- Quickly brown on both sides, and remove pan from heat.
- Coat a large baking dish with olive oil.
- Place the cutlets in the baking dish.
- In a saucepan, heat the tomato paste
- Add sage, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Pour some of this sauce on top of the veal.
- Wash, peel, and slice the eggplant
- Heat a skillet with a little olive oil, add the eggplant slices and fry on both sides. Season with salt, pepper, and a little sage.
- Remove from skillet and place on paper towels to remove excess grease.
- Place the fried eggplants slices on top of the tomato sauce.
- Then add another layer of sauce.
- Cut the mozzarella into very generous slices and place on top.
- Mix the parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs and sprinkle on top of the mozzarella.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes.
- If necessary, place under broiler to brown some more.