- 3 eggplants (ends cut off and cut into 1.5 cm slices)
- 4 sprigs mint leaves (plucked from the stems)
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 bunch basil leaves (plucked from the stems)
- 1 2/3 cups breadcrumbs
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions (finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 2/3 pounds tomatoes (ripe, diced)
- paprika (to season)
- sugar (to season)
- 6 sprigs parsley (finely chopped)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the eggplant, covered, for about 6 minutes. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain well between two layers of paper towels. Allow to cool. Gently press the remaining moisture out of the eggplant with a paper towel. Next, dice it.
- In a food processor or with a stick blender, coarsely purée the mint, eggplant, 1 egg, ricotta, half of the garlic, half of the basil, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Mix 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs into the eggplant mixture, and allow to rest for 15 mins.
- To make the sauce, heat 3-4 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and remaining garlic and fry for about 2 mins over medium heat, turning frequently. Add the tomato purée, and mix through. Add the tomatoes, with 1/2 cup of water. Season with salt, pepper, paprika and sugar. Bring to a boil and let it simmer, stirring frequently for 15-20 minutes. Season again with salt, pepper, paprika and sugar to taste.
- Roll the eggplant mixture into 16 equal balls. The mixture will be slightly mushy. Beat the 2 eggs in a deep dish. Season the rest of the breadcrumbs with salt and pepper. Place 6 balls carefully in the egg and then in the bread crumbs. Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan, and fry the balls until golden brown, turning regularly. Remove from the pan, and drain on paper towels. Place the balls in the tomato sauce and heat again briefly. Mix 1 tbsp of parsley, and the remaining basil leaves (except about 5-6 leaves) into the sauce. Serve in a dish, sprinkled with the remaining parsley and basil leaves.
|Calories600Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.