- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 stalks celery (trimmed, finely chopped)
- 1 spanish onion (medium, finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley leaves (fresh, finely chopped)
- cheese sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 2/3 cups milk (warmed)
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese (coarsely grated)
- 2 eggplants (medium, thinly sliced into 18 slices)
- 2 ounces baby spinach
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese (coarsely grated)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Cook celery, onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add ground beef and cook, stirring, until browned. Add tomato sauce and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, stirring, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 mins, or until sauce thickens. Stir in parsley.
- Meanwhile, to make the cheese sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles. Gradually stir in milk then cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Cook eggplant on a heated, oiled grill pan or frying pan until lightly browned and tender.
- Preheat broiler. Divide 1/3 of the bolognese between 6 ovenproof plates. Distribute 1/3 of the spinach and 1 slice of eggplant over top. Spoon 1/3 of the cheese sauce over top. Repeat to make 3 layers. Sprinkle with cheese and broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve.
|Calories860Calories from Fat460|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat460|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.