Drawing inspiration from Moroccan cuisine, this eggplant salad features fresh mint and plenty of cumin and cayenne pepper to keep this salad exciting. Fresh eggplant is lightly fried and added to a mixture of tomato puree and spices with the end being a delicious gluten free and vegetarian salad. Low in calories this eggplant salad is ready to serve in 40 minutes. Serve with flatbread and couscous for a Moroccan inspired lunch or dinner.
- 3 eggplants (medium)
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons mint (chopped)
- 1/2 lemon
- olive oil
- Using a potato peeler, cut a few strips off the eggplant, lengthwise, and slice into rings, 1 cm thick. Set aside.
- Peel the tomatoes by making a small incision in the shape of a cross and placing them in boiling water for a few seconds. This will cause the peel to come off easily.
- Cut into quarters and set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a deep frying pan. Add the eggplant, reduce the heat, and cook for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper, and stir.
- Dissolve the tomato puree and sugar in 250 milliliters of water.
- Add the eggplant mixture and cook on a low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Add the mint and a few drops of lemon juice.
|Calories170Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.