These towers are deconstructed versions of eggplant parmesan, and make delicious appetizers when entertaining. You can even assemble them a couple of hours ahead, then broil just before serving. The eggplant is quickly grilled until tender; you could do this under the oven broiler if you prefer. It's stacked with a quick tomato-basil sauce, sliced ham, and mozzarella, then finished with grated parmesan. Garnish each tower with a single basil leaf to serve.
- 1 eggplant (large, round)
- tomato purée
- mozzarella cheese
- extra-virgin olive oil
- grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Wash the eggplant, slice it to a thickness of 1/2 centimeters and grill the slices.
- Prepare a tomato sauce with the tomato puree and the basil.
- Slice the ham into strips and cut the mozzarella cheese into cubes.
- Begin making the towers by placing some olive oil in a baking dish, then a slice of grilled eggplant, a tablespoon of tomato sauce, some ham strips, a few mozzarella cubes, and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. Then add a second slice of grilled eggplant and repeat the procedure. Then add a third slice of grilled eggplant and repeat the procedure one last time finishing with the Parmesan cheese. Place a leaf of basil on the very top.
- Make three towers and then place the baking dish in the oven for approximately 15 minutes, and then 3 minutes under the broiler.
- Serve hot.