I cook the eggplant part of this recipe when I find them at Larry's and freeze the mash in ziplock bags for future use. A couple of eggplants will yield enough mash to fill a quart-sized bag.
- 2 eggplants (peeled, seeded and cubed)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper (chunky style mixed, I use packets from Pizza Hut)
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs (+ Italian flavored)
- 1 imitation crab meat (package, frozen)
- 1 mozzarella (bag of, shredded, optional)
- Place the eggplant cubes and onion in a large pot w/ a cup of water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer & cook, uncovered & stirring frequently until eggplant can be mashed into the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Add pepper packet, parmesan cheese & breadcrumbs. Combine & add more bread crumbs until the dish is a casserole-like consistency. (If the eggplant is to be frozen for later use, cool & freeze mixture in ziplock bags at this juncture.)
- Add imitation crab meat & stir until it is melted & torn into pieces. Dish can be eaten as-pictured or you can place it in a casserole dish & top it with mozzarella.
- If you decide to top it with mozzarella, bake at 350 degrees for fifteen minutes or until the mozzarella starts to brown & bubble. The added mozzarella is what inflates the calorie count found below. Fyi, just sayin'!
|Calories240Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.