- 3 eggs (separated)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 6 leaves gelatin (soaked in cold water,, or 1 1/2 tbsp powdered gelatin)
- 1 tablespoon pistachio nuts (chopped)
- 1 ounce milk chocolate (broken into pieces)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom of a 10 inch diameter springform pan with parchment paper. Beat the egg whites and 2 tbsp water until stiff peaks form, gradually adding 1/2 cup of the sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and stir. Spoon into the pan and smooth out. Bake for 20-25 mins, until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least 2 hours.
- Turn the cake out of the pan and cut in half horizontally by inserting a knife into the center and rotating the cake around it. Place the bottom half on a cake plate and place a cake ring around it.
- Whip 1 1/3 cups of the cream, gradually adding 1/4 cup of the sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Heat 1/4 cup of the eggnog in a saucepan. Squeeze out 4 leaves gelatin and dissolve them in the eggnog, (or mix 1 tbsp powdered gelatin in 2 tbsp of water and add to the eggnog). Add 2 tbsp of the whipped cream. Stir the eggnog mixture into the remaining whipped cream. Spread over the bottom half of the cake and gently press the other half on top. Chill for 2 hours.
- Remove the cake ring. Whip 1 1/3 cups of the cream and place one-quarter in a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. Spread the remaining cream over the top and sides of the cake. Pipe cream dots all around the top edge of the cake. Gently press the pistachios around the sides. Chill.
- Heat the remaining eggnog in a saucepan. Squeeze out 2 leaves gelatin and dissolve them in the eggnog, (or add the powdered gelatin with 1 tbsp of water). Allow to cool for 5 mins, and spread over the top of the cake.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Pour into a piping bag fitted with a very small nozzle and pipe chocolate swirls over the eggnog. Chill for 30 mins.
|Calories90Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.