- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 mascarpone (tub, 16 ounces, 453 g)
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar (divided)
- 3 teaspoons cocoa powder (divided)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon coffee liqueur
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2To prepare cake, heatwater and butter in small saucepan until butter is melted. Transfer to Bowl of KitchenAid® Artisan Stand Mixer. Attach Bowl andFlat Beater to Mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and gradually add flour and salt. Mix 1 minute or until combined. With machine running on Speed 2, add eggs, one at a time, mixing until well blended.
- 3Spoon dough into large piping bag fitted with ¼-inch plain tip. Pipe longvertical strips of dough onto prepared pan about 1/8 to 1/4 inch apart. Bake 20 minutes.Cool completely.
- 4To prepare mousse,add cream to clean Bowl of KitchenAid® Artisan Stand Mixer. Attach Bowl and Wire Whip to Mixer. Turn to Stir and gradually add ½ cup powdered sugar. Turn to Speed 8 and whip until stiff peaks form. Transfer to separate bowl.
- 5Add mascarpone cheese, ½ cup powdered sugar, 2teaspoons cocoa, instant coffee, liqueur and vanilla to Mixer Bowl. Attach Bowl and Flat Beater to Mixer. Turn to Stir and mix 1 minute or until well blended. Turn to Speed 4 and beat until light and fluffy.Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture with rubber spatula.
- 6Cut cake layerlengthwiseinto two squares using serrated knife. Spread mousse evenly ontoone layer. Gently top withsecond cake layer.
- 7Mix remaining ¼ cup powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon cocoa powder. Sprinkle over cake to garnish.