Enjoy a free-form, vegan apple pie that comes together in just two hours. It's a delicious way to end a weekend dinner or holiday celebration.
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening (frozen)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 Granny Smith apples (peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries (or thawed frozen, halved)
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Smucker’s® Cider Apple Butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 dash salt
- Cut the shortening into 1-inch pieces and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add the flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse the mixture 5-6 times, or until the shortening is roughly the size of large blueberries.
- Remove the lid from the food processor and stream the ice water over the flour and shortening mixture. Replace the lid of the food processor and pulse 3-4 times to incorporate the water.
- Remove the lid and check the dough mixture. It should feel tacky but not wet, and just hold together when pinched. If the mixture seems too dry and crumbly, add an additional 2-3 teaspoons of water, and pulse 2-3 more times.
- Carefully turn the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Gather the plastic wrap over the dough, gently working it into a disc roughly 1-inch thick. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Place the apples and cranberries in a mixing bowl. Squeeze lemon juice over the fruit. Add the sugar, apple butter, flour, spices, and salt. Toss with a rubber spatula until the apples are evenly coated.
- Remove the pie dough from the refrigerator. Lay a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and dust with flour. Unwrap the dough and place it in the center of the parchment. Gently roll the dough with a rolling pin into a large circle, 1/8-inch thick.
- Place the apple and cranberry mixture in the center of the rolled pie dough. Gently pat the apple slices into a circular mound, leaving a 3-inch border edge of pie dough exposed. Carefully fold the dough edges in over the filling, lightly pressing it together where it overlaps.
- Transfer the galette on the baking sheet to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the apples are tender, the filling is lightly bubbling, and the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Allow the galette to cool for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
|Calories320Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.