To plan for busy weeknights, prepping ahead is a lifesaver, and this little trick is one everyone should know. Batch-cook chicken breasts and then shred them using a stand mixer. The 3 pounds of chicken will yield about 7 cups shredded, enough for 2 recipes that each use 3 cups, with a bit leftover. And it keeps frozen up to 3 months. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Ashley Strickland Freeman.
- 3 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 breast pieces)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Arrange chicken breasts on the parchment paper and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until the juices run clear in the center (cut to test), 25-30 minutes.
- While chicken is still hot, cut or tear it in half or thirds. Transfer half of the chicken to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Turn the mixer to low and “mix” until the chicken begins to shred into bite-size pieces. Remove the shredded chicken and repeat the process until all is shredded.
- Use chicken immediately, or store in 3 (3-cup) portions: Place the shredded chicken in zip-top plastic bags and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories130Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes