- 8 cups stuffing (store bought unseasoned, cubes)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion (from 1 large or 2 small onions)
- 1 cup diced celery (from 3 large celery stalks)
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage (bulk, i.e., sausage with the casings removed -- see note below)
- 2 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (fresh chopped)
- 1 tablespoon sage (fresh chopped)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (freshly)
PER SERVING *
|Calories890Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Nguyen 7 Oct
Added two apples, fresh sage and rosemary alongside the garlic. Used sourdough bread that I cubed and toasted.
Christine W. 4 Dec 2017
Delicious but needed almost double the stock.
Marilyn S. 26 Nov 2017
Delicious! Got rave reviews from my family of skeptics! I will definitely make this again!
Tim 23 Nov 2016
Served this recipe for Friendsgiving over the weekend. It was the only dish empty! I added a bit more sage and parsley Great recipe!
Maria P. 27 Nov 2015
I was looking for a traditional stuffing and this one was perfect! Just like my mother in law used to make. I omitted the salt because I thought the sausage and butter probably had enough. I made my own bread cubes by going to the "day old bread shelf" at my local grocer and breaking the bread into pieces and letting it air out for a few days. I mixed it up so it would dry thoroughly. My family loved this. It's outstanding if you are looking for a basic, but tasty stuffing.
Brenda W. 24 Nov 2015
This is a great recipe that my family has been using for years, only we use breakfast sausage instead of Italian sausage. I think it is much better in stuffing and I'm a real hot Italian sausage lover!!
Kathleen G. 24 Nov 2015
This recipe is exactly the way my mother made her stuffing. I have been making stuffing this way for many years and have received many "yummies" over the taste!