- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion (medium, finely diced, about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced, about 4 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 15 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound fresh spinach leaves (trimmed)
- 1/4 cup juice (fresh, from 2 to 3 lemons)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves (chopped fresh)
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks (and thighs, 4 to 6 of each)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (homemade or store-bought low-sodium)
- 30 ounces chickpeas (drained)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt
PER SERVING *
|Calories1080Calories from Fat480|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat480|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Nicole H. 7 Apr
This dish was pretty easy to make and was great with some rice and Naan. My kids (4 & 7) really enjoyed it. The husband thought it was good, but needed that elusive "something" that he couldn't put his finger on.
Olga Gorelik 9 Mar
This dish is amazing with a side of rice or couscous.
Saneenah White 23 Dec 2016
This was delicious! I was too lazy to use all the ingredients, but next time I will definitely use everything in the recipe.
Helen R. 2 Apr 2016
Very good flavour but I couldn't get it nice and orange like the picture. It looked a bit beige. Not sure what I needed to do?
Lydia B. 16 Mar 2016
Came together quickly and tasted delicious. I didn't have heavy cream on hand so I substituted a can of coconut milk- yummy!