The easiest from-scratch chicken casserole your family will love.
- 1 1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes
- 2 scallions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken (diced or shredded)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Spray a 9x13” casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dice the potatoes into 3/4” pieces and place in the casserole dish. Finely mince the scallion and set aside.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes and season with 1/2 tsp. salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir with a rubber spatula to coat the potatoes in oil.
- Transfer the casserole dish to the middle rack of the oven.
- Roast the potatoes for 15 minutes, until they are tender but slightly underdone, and just starting to brown.
- Place the cooked chicken in a large mixing bowl. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt and black pepper, to taste. Add the garlic powder, paprika, minced scallion, and sour cream.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and transfer to the mixing bowl. Stir the mixture with a rubber spatula until the chicken and potatoes are thoroughly coated in the sour cream.
- Transfer the chicken and potato mixture to the casserole dish and smooth into an even layer. Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the top.
- Transfer the casserole dish to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the casserole for 12-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and lightly golden brown.
- Carefully remove the casserole dish from the oven. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Plate the creamy chicken and potato casserole and serve immediately.