Four ingredients is all you need for a stunning prime rib. Your holiday dinner has never been easier!
- 6 1/2 pounds prime rib roast (trimmed and tied)
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Season the prime rib liberally on all sides with salt and black pepper.
- Line a roasting pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil and position a roasting rack inside of it.
- Transfer the prime rib to the middle of the roasting rack. Tent the meat loosely with foil, and allow it to stand at room temperature for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Set an extra large skillet over medium-high heat and pour in the olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering, place the prime rib, fat side down, in the skillet. Sear the meat, undisturbed, for 3-4 minutes, until browned. Carefully flip the prime rib so it is bone side down, and sear for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the prime rib back to the roasting rack.
- Transfer the roasting pan to the middle rack of the oven.
- Roast the prime rib for 75-100 minutes, or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 120-125° F.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven.
- Allow the prime rib to rest on the rack for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the prime rib to a cutting board. Carve and serve immediately.