- 10 corn tortillas (small, cut into 1/4-inch wide strips)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vidalia onion (sweet, peeled and diced small , about 1 medium onion)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (large, about 4 to 5 inches long, diced very small, the seeds are where the heat is concentrated; included or discard them based on preference)
- 4 garlic cloves (peeled and finely minced)
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes (and juice, I used petite diced, no-salt-added)
- 15 ounces black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups cooked chicken (shredded, use storebought rotisserie chicken to save time; or roast or cook your own chicken in a skillet)
- 1 1/2 cups corn (I used frozen straight from the freezer, fresh may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (regular paprika may be substituted)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional and to taste)
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves (fresh, finely minced)
- avocado (diced, for serving, optional for serving)
- shredded cheese (optional for serving)
- sour cream (optional for serving)
|Calories300Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
WiseChef a month ago
Delicious!!! One of my favorite go to soups. Didn't have time to make homemade tortilla chips. Used restaurant style store bought chip and substituted serrano for Jalapeno. The whole family enjoys all the cheesiness goodness. Yum!!
Kayla Dildine a month ago
this was great. extra lime juice and added a garlic, lime, cilantro seasoning to the soup and tortilla strips. new favorite.
Monique Johnson 2 months ago
It turned out great. I didn’t have to change a thing.
Traci L. 4 months ago
i made minor adjustments..and added my own mixture of seasonings but for the most part this is a good and simple recipe.
J.J. 4 months ago
I did a few things different! It was yummy 🥰
Amanda Udvare 4 months ago
I loved this recipe, we will definitely be making this again!
Melinda 5 months ago
Love this recipe. Very flavorful.
mike 5 months ago
definitely will make again. followed the recipe all the way and thoroughly enjoyed it
Lisa I. 5 months ago
Awesome! Perfect to make with leftover roasted chicken. I followed the recipe the first time, the second time I made it I didn't have cilantro and didn't have time to run to the store, both times it turned out great. My kiddos really love the torilla strips, they ended up eating a batch before it made it to any of the soup, I had to make more.
Melissa Auten 6 months ago
This is a delicious tortilla soup recipe. I used a rotisserie chicken and then roasted the carcass to make my own homemade stock the night before I made it. In addition to sautéing the onions I added some chopped celery and a small amount of chopped carrot into the mix. I didn’t have a jalepeno in my fridge but I did have a small can of chopped green chili’s in the pantry so I threw those into the sauté mix. They key to a good soup is a good broth. This broth is delicious and has a spicy kick. Makes up super quick and tastes like you fussed all day.
Debbie Farinella 6 months ago
¡Deliciosa! Added fresh diced tomatoes to make up for the 1 can I didn’t have! Perfect!
Lisa G. 6 months ago
Delicious! I actually cooked it for about 2.5 hours and used uncooked chicken breasts instead of precooked. Super simple!
desiree 6 months ago
delicious made it per the recipe. little spicy for kids but they loved it
Kim Knueppel 6 months ago
A family favorite. My pickiest eater loved it. Add a bit more chicken. We like spicy but if you don’t 1/2 jalapeño will work.
Stacey Jones 6 months ago
Delicious.. added more lime! Very flavorful and hearty.
A Pearl 6 months ago
Probably added a tad more chicken and a little less jalapeño and it was awesome!!! This will definitely be a frequently made soup...it was delicious!!
Childs 6 months ago
Great!! It was delicious
ShaNele F. 6 months ago
Yummy!!! Quick and Easy
Brett D. 6 months ago
turned out really good
Kathy B. 7 months ago
it was very tasty and easy to put together
Mark V. 7 months ago
Flavorful and hearty, I skipped the jalepeno for green pepper, the wife can't do spicy, but a couple of shakes of hot sauce made up for the missing heat.
Irene Padilla 7 months ago
I would recommend draining the tomatoes, as the acidic taste from the juice is just too “briny”. I also substituted corn for yellow hominy. Serve with cheese and avocado slices...delish!
Owings 7 months ago
Great! I really enjoyed it and my picky husband (who very rarely will eat leftovers) had seconds as well as eating it as leftovers a couple of days later.
Celi DeMa 7 months ago
Super easy and delicious I put a little bit more chicken broth and more tomatoes.....
betts 7 months ago
This was very good. I cut back on the hot spicy ingredients (personal preference). Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. Delicious and easy! I recommend cutting the tortilla strips a bit shorter for bite size toppers.
Shearer Bollman 7 months ago
Delicious! I will definitely make this again!! Thank you!
Judy McKendry 7 months ago
It is easy. Soup is on!
Linda Daoust 9 months ago
beat and quickest recipe ever
Jeanne Darling 10 months ago
This recipe turned out sooo good I used some roasted chicken breast that I brined earlier in the week. I also added about a little over a 1/3 of cup of half-and-half.
Neilani a year ago
Great flavor! A little too much chilli powder, but other than that it tasted amazing!