- cake batter
- 8 ounces dark chocolate (chopped)
- 9 tablespoons butter (chopped)
- 2 egg whites
- 8 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour (sifted)
- buttercream frosting
- 18 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- chocolates (Easter, to decorate)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease and line two 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- For the batter, melt chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Add butter and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and cool slightly. In a large bowl, using electric mixer, beat together egg yolks and half the sugar until thick and pale. Slowly add chocolate mixture, beating to combine, then fold in flour. Clean beaters and, in a separate large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating until firm peaks form. Pour evenly into pans and bake 25-30 mins. Cool in pans for 10 mins, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for the buttercream frosting, beat butter with electric mixer until very pale. Gradually add half the powdered sugar and the cocoa powder. Beat in vanilla, milk and remaining powdered sugar.
- Split cakes in half horizontally. Stack on a cake stand or plate, spreading the top of each layer with buttercream. Spread remaining buttercream on sides of cake, decorate with chocolates and serve.
- Decorate with Easter chocolates.
PER SERVING *
|Calories630Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.