Easter Colomba CakeL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Traditionally shaped like a dove, this Italian Easter cake signals the coming of spring. Inspired by panettone and pandoro, this flavorful version features lemon and orange zests, anise liqueur, chocolate chips and candied orange peel. Yielding enough for two cakes, they're iced and garnished with almonds before hitting the oven. Colomba is often served with fresh berries, slathered with sweet spreads or drizzled with chocolate. Serve it with coffee or a glass of prosecco.
- 20 grams yeast
- 250 grams bread flour
- 300 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 100 grams butter
- lemon zest
- orange zest
- 250 grams granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon anise liqueur
- 70 grams chocolate chips
- 50 grams candied orange peel
- powdered sugar
- sliced almonds
- 1In a bowl, dissolve the yeast in 150 grams of water with 50 grams of each flour. Mix well. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and place in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- 2Add the flour (setting aside 50 grams of all-purpose flour) to a stand mixer bowl together with the eggs, butter, the zest from 1 lemon and 1 orange, 150 grams of sugar, liqueur, and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- 3Add the yeast mixture and knead the dough for at least 10 minutes using the hook attachment.
- 4Let the dough rise until it doubles in size.
- 5Punch down the dough, add the chocolate chips and candied orange and knead again.
- 6Place the dough inside two colomba cake molds.
- 7Let the dough rise again until it doubles in size.
- 8Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- 9In another bowl, add the remaining sugar and flour, adding enough water until it is creamy.
- 10Spread the icing over the cakes, sprinkle with granulated sugar, powdered sugar, and almonds.
- 11Bake for approximately 35 to 40 minutes. If the icing begins to brown too much, cover with a piece of aluminum foil.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1150Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.