Traditional Italian Easter cakes strike the right tone for the holiday while ushing in spring. This recipe features vanilla extract, lemon zest, nutmeg and white wine in the batter, ingredients that set a fragrant tone for the colorful cake. Constructed from risen dough balls that are butted up against one another, brushed with an egg wash and scattered with slivered almonds, it bakes until tender and cohesive.
- 450 grams flour
- 100 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 3 eggs
- 80 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 125 milliliters white wine
- 125 milliliters milk (warmed)
- 100 grams butter (melted)
- 50 grams slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, sieve the both flours and mix with the yeast.
- Make a well in the center and add the 2 of the eggs, plus the sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, nutmeg, wine, milk, and butter.
- Mix together in a stand mixer and add half of the almonds and mix again.
- Continue to beat for 10 minutes until the mixture leaves the sides and forms a smooth dough ball.
- Cover the bowl and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Divide the dough into 4 parts and shape into balls, pressing down very gently.
- Line a 26-centimeter baking pan with parchment paper and place the dough balls close to each other in the pan.
- Cover and leave to rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Bake at the bottom of the oven for 40 minutes.
|Calories940Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.