Easter BreadL'Antro dell'Alchimista
A combination of all-purpose and strong flour are called for in this savory, peppered bread, featuring brewer's yeast, lard, olive oil and plenty of Parmesan. After kneading the dough, it must rest for 45 minutes before it's baked in a round cake pan. Slice the bread and eat it warm. Or, tear it into chunks for dipping in Sunday gravy or a bowl of Parmesan-laced olive oil.
- 5 eggs
- 300 grams flour (+ 200 gr. strong flour)
- 100 milliliters water
- 30 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 50 grams lard (No substitutions)
- 250 grams grating cheese (a combination of parmesan and pecorino cheese)
- 1In a plastic cup, dissolve the yeast with the sugar in the warm water and allow it to proof for 5 to 6 minutes.
- 2Add the yeast mixture to some flour stirring it into a batter and allow it to proof covered with flour for 40 to 50 minutes.
- 3In the meantime, beat the eggs, then add the salt, pepper, grated cheese, and oil; allow the flavors to combine.
- 4When the yeast batter has begun cracking, gradually add the egg and cheese mixture and knead with the flour.
- 5Knead the dough thoroughly and lastly add the softened lard.
- 6Knead thoroughly and for a significant amount of time.
- 7Let the dough rest at room temperature for 45 minutes, then place it in a tall, narrow, flared, round cake pan which has been greased well and allow the dough to rise in a warm area until it reaches the edge of the pan.
- 8Bake the bread at 180C for approximately 30 minutes.
- 9Remove the bread from the oven and cool it completely.
PER SERVING *
|Calories910Calories from Fat520|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat520|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.