- 2 1/4 cups potatoes (boiled, skinned and mashed smooth with salt)
- 250 grams ground beef
- 4 onions (large, chopped finely)
- 2 green chilies (deseeded and chopped finely)
- 6 garlic cloves (chopped finely)
- 1 inch fresh ginger (chopped finely)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped finely)
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint (chopped finely)
- 1 lime
- oil (for frying)
- bread crumbs
- 1 eggs (beaten lightly)
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a frying pan and add the chopped onions. Fry the onions until they caramelise lightly.
- Then add the ginger, garlic, green chillies and continue to fry the mixture until fragrant, about two to three minutes.
- Turn up the heat. Now add the ground beef, salt and pepper to taste and fry the meat until browned lightly. Lower the heat and continue to cook the meat until all the water released has evaporated. When cooked through, remove from the heat and toss with the herbs and lemon juice. Set aside to cool until needed.
- Take a portion of the cooled mashed potato (about the size of a ping pong ball) and flatten it to form the shape of your palm (it should be about ¼ inch thick). If the potato is too sticky, grease your palm with some oil. Cup your palm a little to form a pocket.
- Add a tablespoon and a half of the cooled meat mixture to the centre of the flattened potato pocket. Enclose the filling by drawing up the sides of the potato and cover the filling completely so no minced meat is visible. Continue the same process with the rest of the mashed potato and mince.
- Heat a generous amount of oil in a wide frying pan. Roll each of the potato chops in some egg and then breadcrumbs before frying until the each potato chop is golden brown.
- Serve hot with a side salad or home-made chilli sauce
PER SERVING *
|Calories110Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.