- earl grey
- 3 bags earl grey tea
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon juice
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 cup self rising flour (sifted)
- icing (Lemon)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- lemon slices (candied, to decorate)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Steep tea in 1/2 cup water for 5 mins. Discard tea bags and set tea aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cream butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add lemon zest and poppy seeds. Fold in flour alternately with tea and lemon juice, beginning and ending with flour. Distribute between paper liners and bake for 20-25 mins, until golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the lemon icing, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Spread over cooled muffins and top with candied lemon slices. Let icing set before serving.