Dutch Sugar BreadEl invitado de invierno
Boasting a rich ginger and cinnamon spice flavor, this recipe for Dutch Sugar Bread makes a sweet loaf that can be served as an accompaniment to your breakfast or brunch. This recipe includes instructions for making your own ginger sugar syrup, which will be combined with the rest of the dough ingredients to make a tasty ginger spiral bread filled with a cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake time is 40 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons ginger syrup
- milk (enough, so that added with the ginger syrup you get 200 ml.)
- 2 eggs
- 75 grams butter (melted)
- 500 grams bread flour
- 10 grams salt
- 5 grams active dry yeast (instant)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 75 grams sugar
- 2 pieces fresh ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1First, make the ginger syrup. Peel the ginger and finely slice it into rounds.
- 2Add the ginger, sugar, and water to a nonstick pot. Boil until the ginger is tender. Reserve in the refrigerator.
- 3Remove 3 tablespoons of the syrup and add it to a measuring cup. Fill the measuring cup with milk until 200 milliliters is reached. Pour this into a large bowl.
- 4Whisk in the eggs and the melted butter.
- 5Add salt and yeast to the flour and add these dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- 6Knead the dough together until the glutens start to form and the dough is not as sticky and elastic. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside to double in volume.
- 7Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 8Once doubled, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Carefully working from underneath with your fingertips, stretch the dough out into a rectangle the side of your baking sheet.
- 9Sprinkle over the dough the sugar and cinnamon.
- 10Make a jelly roll with the dough. Starting on the long end of the rectangle, tightly roll towards the other long end. Transfer the roll onto a greased and floured baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit to double in volume.
- 11Bake 40 minutes until golden. Cool on a baking rack and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories950Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.