- 2 chickens (rotisserie, meat taken off and pulled into pieces, or turkey)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 teaspoons cayenne (depending on how much spice you’d like)
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 shallot (small, chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 5 cups chicken broth (or veggie with turkey)
- salt (/pepper)
- 2 tablespoons flour (to thicken)
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter (I added this to the directions)
- If camping: Heat 20 briquettes in campfire and remove 14, leaving the other 6 in the fire, place them on the side away from the fire. Place dutch oven (lid on and pre-seasoned) over those 14 to begin heating. Add canola oil after 30 minutes or so, then butter. When you see bubbles, add onion, celery, carrot, shallot, salt/pepper, herbs of choice and cayenne. When they begin to soften, add a small amount of broth, mix and place the lid on top for 10-15 minutes or until veggies are soft. Add the chicken and enough chicken broth to cover. I added more briquettes to the bottom and a few on the lid at this point to really heat things up. Allow this to reduce a bit and heat the chicken, then you might need to add some flour to thicken, stirring it in the entire time. Make dumplings in a bowl until you have a chunky mix and plop them over the chicken mix, 6 to 8 dumplings. Place lid back on and cook 10-15 minutes or until the dough is cooked through. Ta-da!
- Not camping: Heat dutch oven over medium heat and add oil, a few minutes later add veggies, butter, herbs, cayenne and salt/pepper. Cook until veggies are soft, then add some broth and reduce 5 or so minutes. Toss in the chicken pieces and more broth, just to cover the chicken and place lid on for about 5-10 minutes. Stir in flour to thicken and make dumpling mix. Plop the dumplings, 6 to 8 on the mix and cover again for 15-20 minutes or until the dough is cooked through.
|Calories790Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.