- 4 1/2 pounds duck (giblets reserved)
- 4 oranges (1 juiced, 1 zested and juiced, 2 cut into thin slices)
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with water to form a slurry)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Season the duck. Pour the juice of 1 orange into the cavity of the duck then close with wooden skewers and tie the legs together with butcher's twine. Put the duck breast down in a roasting pan with a drip tray. Pour 1/2 cup hot water into the pan and roast for 1 1/2 hours. Turn the duck halfway through the roasting time and put the giblets into the water. Heat the jam in a saucepan, strain then use to coat the duck about 10 mins before serving.
- For the sauce, remove the duck from the roasting pan and keep it warm. Remove the giblets from the tray and deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup hot water and the chicken stock. Caramelize the sugar in a saucepan and pour in the hot stock, stirring well. Add the remaining orange juice, orange zest and lemon juice and season to taste. Bring to a boil, add the cornstarch slurry and bring it back to a boil. Keep warm.
- To finish, melt the butter in a frying pan and swirl the orange slices in it briefly. Remove the string and skewers and arrange the duck on top of the orange slices on a platter. Serve garnished with the sauce and fresh parsley on top.