Drunken SquidLa Cocina de Babel
This recipe for drunken squid makes it possible to have your wine and drink it too, while you cook that is. Sauteed garlic, onion, and squid are added to a red wine tomato sauce and simmered with spices for 45 minutes. The end result is a flavorful seafood dish that will have you raising your wine glass to toast your good fortune. Serve with steamed rice for a wonderful seafood meal.
- vegetable oil (drizzle)
- 1 onions (finely diced)
- 1 1/2 kilograms squid (cleaned)
- 3 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 250 milliliters red wine
- 800 grams tomatoes (can of whole)
- ground black pepper (freshly)
- 3 stalks fresh thyme (tied together)
- steamed rice (as an accompaniment)
- 1In a Dutch oven, heat up a drizzle of oil and pour in the diced onion. Saute a few minutes on low heat until softened.
- 2Add in the squid and raise the heat until the squid start to release their juices.
- 3Incorporate the garlic and lower the heat again. Stir together and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated out.
- 4Dissolve the tomato paste in the red wine then pour into the Dutch oven. Follow with the whole tomatoes and their juice, salt and pepper to taste, and the thyme.
- 5Simmer 45 minutes stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens. Crush the tomatoes with a wooden spoon while stirring. Remove the thyme before serving.
- 6Serve with steamed rice on the side and more thyme leaves sprinkled over the top as garnish.