This recipe for drunken squid makes it possible to have your wine and drink it too, while you cook that is. Sauteed garlic, onion, and squid are added to a red wine tomato sauce and simmered with spices for 45 minutes. The end result is a flavorful seafood dish that will have you raising your wine glass to toast your good fortune. Serve with steamed rice for a wonderful seafood meal.
- vegetable oil (drizzle)
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 1.5 kilograms squid (cleaned)
- 3 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 250 milliliters red wine
- 800 grams tomatoes (can of whole)
- ground black pepper (freshly)
- 3 stalks fresh thyme (tied together)
- steamed rice (as an accompaniment)
- In a Dutch oven, heat up a drizzle of oil and pour in the diced onion. Saute a few minutes on low heat until softened.
- Add in the squid and raise the heat until the squid start to release their juices.
- Incorporate the garlic and lower the heat again. Stir together and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated out.
- Dissolve the tomato paste in the red wine then pour into the Dutch oven. Follow with the whole tomatoes and their juice, salt and pepper to taste, and the thyme.
- Simmer 45 minutes stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens. Crush the tomatoes with a wooden spoon while stirring. Remove the thyme before serving.
- Serve with steamed rice on the side and more thyme leaves sprinkled over the top as garnish.