Change up the idea of dessert with this incredibly bold sweet, savory, and salty cake. Layers of salty thick cuts of Parma ham perfectly complimented with creamy bold Gruyere cheese is just the beginning. Sweet silky milk and earthy olive oil blend together with the fresh tartness of the figs balancing the cake flavors. Slice the beautiful marbled cake or break into thick chunks and use as the base of a bread pudding. Sweet and savory have never been so harmonized.
- 2 eggs
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 150 grams flour
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 40 grams gruyere cheese (grated)
- 80 grams prosciutto
- 200 grams dried figs
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place eggs in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, and whisk until the mixture becomes pale.
- Add milk and olive oil.
- Add flour and yeast and mix well.
- Mix in the grated gruyere cheese.
- Cut the prosciutto into thin strips, and the dried figs into small cubes and mix both with 1 tablespoon of flour before adding them to the batter.
- Mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let rest for about 5 minutes, unmold, and let cool.