Cakes are perfect for all occasions, or no occasion at all. It is a way to escape the stresses of the day. This Diotorta or Hungarian Walnut Cake is flavorful and guaranteed to whisk away all the pressures of the world. Ingredients include egg yolks, superfine sugar, flour, ground walnuts, rum, egg whites, milk, butter, vanilla extract. This cake is moist and savory, as well as sweet and hearty. How can you resist?
- 6 egg yolks
- 120 grams superfine sugar
- 110 grams flour
- 4 tablespoons walnuts (ground)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons rum
- 6 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 300 milliliters milk
- 300 grams butter (softened)
- 150 grams superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts (ground, plus extra for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Beat the egg yolks with 40 grams sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the flour, walnuts, and rum.
- Beat the egg whites with the rest of the sugar, then divided into 3 parts: 1 part at the beginning, another once they look whiter, and the rest when they are almost ready. Beat until firm peaks are formed.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, being careful not to over-beat.
- Pour into a 22-centimeter cake mold lined with parchment. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Let it cool.
- Cut horizontally into 3 layers. Set aside.
- Dissolve the flour in the milk and bring to a boil in a heavy-bottomed pan, stirring until it thickens. Remove from the stove and set aside while it cools.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add the milk and flour mixture, walnuts, rum, and vanilla. Beat until creamy.
- To assemble the cake, plate the first layer of sponge cake, spread some of the frosting on top. Add the second layer and more frosting, then add the top layer and cover the entire surface of the cake with the frosting. Sprinkle the rest of the walnuts on the sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.
|Calories1320Calories from Fat770|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat770|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.