A classic party appetizer for good reason. Guests will love these impressive little bites that are deceptively easy to make.
- 16 pitted Medjool dates (large)
- 4 ounces cheese (blue cheese, Stilton, fontina, or Gruyere)
- 8 strips bacon
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With a sharp knife, make a length-wise slice down the center of each date, taking care to not cut all the way through. Cut the cheese into 16 cubes, a scant 3/4” each. Cut each strip of bacon in half crosswise.
- Place a piece of cheese in the center of each date, and pinch the sides to close the date. Wrap half a bacon strip around each date, with the seam falling on the opposite side from the slit.
- Arrange the dates seam side down on the baking sheet.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the preheated oven.
- Bake the dates for 22-27 minutes, until the bacon is browned and crispy.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Allow the dates to cool on the sheet for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the dates on a plate and stick a toothpick through the top of each. Serve immediately.