Delmonico’s Chef’s Squab Chicken GardnerTHE GLOBE - TORONTO
The Daily Recipe By Delmonico’s Chef from The Globe (1844-1936), Oct 18, 1921.
- 4 chickens
- melted butter
- English mustard
- bread crumbs
- 4 ounces bacon (blanched and fried)
- 4 ounces potatoes
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 3 drops lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons gravy
- chopped parsley
- Split four chickens lengthwise along the middle of the back; flatten and remove as many bones as possible. Season with salt and pepper; sprinkle with melted butter and half cook in the oven.
- This done, coat thoroughly with English mustard, sprinkle with bread crumbs; pour a little melted butter over and complete the cooking gently on the broiler.
- Set on a dish now, bordered with four ounces of blanched and fried bacon, cut in small slices, four ounces of potatoes, cut in in round slices three-quarters of an inch in diameter, and four ounces of fresh mushrooms. Set to cook in the oven under cover.
- When about to serve, sprinkle the whole with a few drops of lemon juice, a few tablespoonfuls of gravy and chopped parsley.