Buttery shortbread cookies are the perfect treat to decorate for any special occasion. The cookies are lightly flavored with vanilla. After baked, the crisp cookies are frosted with a sweet frosting that can be decored for any occasion. While the decorating process takes a little bit of time, the time will be well worth it once you place these on the dessert table at any occasion.
- 225 grams unsalted butter (soft)
- 175 grams powdered sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1 vanilla pods
- 430 grams flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 360 grams powdered sugar
- 145 grams meringue powder (or egg white powder)
- 70 grams warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or preferred flavor)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whip the butter and sugar together. Add the egg and vanilla seeds (split the pod in half and scrape the inside with the tip of a knife).
- Stir in the flour gradually.
- If the dough is too sticky, add a little flour.
- Once the dough forms into a ball (do not over-knead the dough to avoid making it elastic), roll out on a floured surface and cut out with cookie cutters.
- Bake about 8 to 10 minutes until the cookies are barely browned.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixer bowl fitted with the whisk. Mix on medium speed, gradually adding water and vanilla extract.
- If coloring is desired, add food dye now.
- Whip for 8 to 10 minutes. Set icing aside in cling film (in contact with the icing) and cool. The icing can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator, which is why meringue powder is used instead of fresh egg white, to
- reduce the risk of salmonellosis.
- Once cooled, decorate the cookies. Start with the cookie's contours using a piping bag.
- Once the cookies with contours are done, fill in contours using a small spoon.
- Doing the edges of the cooky is a bit of a long task, but necessary in order to have beautifully and cleanly decorated shortbread cookies.
- Cookies will keep for several days in an airtight container.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1340Calories from Fat430|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat430|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.