Equally good hot or cold, this curried rice with chicken and vegetables can be both a warm dinner and a cold lunch the next day. Packed with vegetables, this curried rice dish is low in fat and high in health.
- 2 chicken breasts
- olive oil
- 1 onion (small, chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 400 grams basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons curry
- 1 tablespoon saffron
- 300 grams fresh mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 leeks (diced)
- 1 cup peas (frozen)
- 1 carrot (finely grated)
- 1 cup pitted black olives (sliced)
- Boil the chicken breasts in a pan of salted water. Drain, cool, and shred.
- In another wider and taller pan, heat olive oil on low heat. Add chopped onion, and 2 garlic cloves. When the onion is translucent, add the rice, and stir occasionally. Add a little salt, curry, and saffron, and stir. When the rice starts to get transparent, add 3 times the amount of boiling water as the rice. Simmer, check the seasoning. Once cooked drain in a colander, and rinse with cold water, drain again. Set aside.
- Heat a very large skillet with a dash of olive oil. Add the remaining garlic cloves, then the mushrooms, followed by the peas. Simmer. When the mushrooms are cooked, add the leek, and mix.
- Finally, add the carrots and the olives, get the seasoning right with a little salt, mix, and remove from heat.
- In large bowl, serve the rice, shredded chicken, and vegetables. Mix gently.
- Serve hot, warm, or cold.
PER SERVING *
|Calories580Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.