Curried Lentils With BaconO Meu Tempero
Lentils are a great source of protein, and the main attraction of this curried dish. (For a vegetarian meal, omit the bacon.) Here, the lentils are soaked overnight, but you can skip this step and still achieve excellent results, especially if you buy them from a store with high turnover (meaning they are fresher and more likely to become tender in the called for cooking time). This meal-in-one delivers ample flavor, thanks to curry powder and piri piri sauce, both available at ethnic food markets and many supermarkets these day.
- 250 grams lentils
- olive oil
- 4 shallots (small)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 slice bacon
- 2 tomatoes
- 100 milliliters white wine
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 liter hot water
- 1 teaspoon piri-piri sauce
- 2 carrots (cubed)
- 1 zucchini (cubed)
- 1 tablespoon coriander (chopped)
- 1Soak the lentils in water overnight.
- 2In a saucepan, heat a drizzle of olive oil and saute the chopped shallots and the bay leaf, until the shallots are translucent.
- 3Add the bacon in cubes and fry.
- 4Then add the peeled and chopped tomato and the wine. Simmer until the wine completely evaporates.
- 5Add the curry powder and mix well.
- 6Add the hot water, bring to a boil, and add the drained lentils.
- 7Season with salt and hot sauce.
- 8Cook 20 minutes on medium heat.
- 9Add the carrots and zucchini and cook for 10 minutes, more or less.
- 10Turn off the heat and mix in the cilantro.
- 11Serve hot and accompany with Basmati rice.