Make your own sweet pickles with this delightful recipe for Cucumber Pickles and Red Onion. The pickling brine is made from a sweet and flavorful combination of cider vinegar, brown sugar, bay leaf, mustard seed, cinnamon, and coriander seed. Let the pickles sit in the pickling liquid for at least 2 weeks in the refrigerator before opening the jar. The longer the pickles sit, the more flavorful they will be. Enjoy these pickles on burgers or your favorite sandwich or simply as a fun snack.
- 2 servings
- 1 cucumber (large)
- 1/2 red onion
- 80 milliliters water
- 100 milliliters cider vinegar
- 30 grams brown sugar
- 50 grams salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 4 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- Wash the cucumbers well, cut thinly with a knife or food processor, salt, and place on a tray (with a net or grid), and let stand for about 1 hour.
- Remove the salt, and dry the cucumbers with a napkin.
- Cut the onion into rings, and place in the previously sterilized bottles.
- In a small saucepan, bring to boil, water, cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt, bay leaf, cinnamon, coriander seeds, and mustard seeds. Stir well, and heat only until the sugar melts.
- Let cool to room temperature, and add the cucumber and onion.
- Refrigerate for about 2 weeks without opening.
- The longer they stay in the bottles, the better the taste.