Imagine a glorified Fig Newton with sprinkles, and you'll get the idea behind these festive holiday cookies. Though cucidati are much-loved in Sicily where they originate, the crumbly, lightly sweetened spiced fig and nut cookies are not well-known in the United States, outside of Italian-American communities. It takes a little time to create them, but your efforts will be rewarded. For extra flair, be sure to top the finished cookies with vanilla glaze and colorful sprinkles. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Sara Mellas.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened, cut into pieces)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (for dough)
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (for dough)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt (for dough)
- 1 cup dried figs
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. orange marmalade
- 1 1/2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or for 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, use 1/8 tsp. each ground allspice and ground nutmeg)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (for filling)
- 1 pinch black pepper
- all purpose flour (for rolling)
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt (for glaze)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (for glaze)
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- candy sprinkles (Rainbow, nonpareils)
- Place the butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and continue beating until the mixture is light, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl and beat until a smooth dough forms, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Divide the dough in half. Turn each half onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Shape the dough into 3/4-inch-thick rectangles, then wrap them tightly. Refrigerate the dough until firm enough to roll and hold its shape, about one hour.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories170Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes