This delicious dessert is a wonderful combination of cornmeal cake and crumble topping. The cake is incredibly moist, thanks to having both sunflower oil and olive oil (the latter adding a subtle fruity taste) plus two eggs and bright with the flavor of orange juice. For the topping, store-bought cookies are crushed and then mixed with margarine (or butter), flour, and sugar, just like you would use for a fruit crumble.
- 40 milliliters sunflower oil
- 80 milliliters olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 150 grams sugar
- 120 milliliters orange juice (or juice of 2 oranges)
- 145 grams wheat flour
- 100 grams maize flour (corn flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (cold, cubed)
- 7 Maria Cookies (crumbled)
- Preheat oven to 380°F.
- Grease a baking pan with margarine and sprinkle with flour. In a bowl, mix the oil, eggs, sugar and orange juice.
- Add the flours, yeast and salt.
- Beat, at medium speed, to mix all the ingredients.
- Place the batter in the pan.
- For the topping: Mix the flour, sugar, margarine and cookies with a spoon or a fork, until incorporated.
- Sprinkle over the cake batter and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Check cake often for doneness as it cooks quickly.