Crusty Ham and Cheese SoufflePork
- 8 ounces ham (fully cooked, finely chopped, about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs (fine dry)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary (crushed)
- 1/4 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 dry mustard (teaspooon)
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 dash allspice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (finely shredded, 4 ounces)
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1Generously butter a 1 1/2-quarter souffle dish. Attach a foil collar to dish. Measure enough foil to go around dish plus a 2-inch overlap. Fold into thirds lengthwise; place foil around dish with collar extending 2 inches above top of dish. Secure with tape, if necessary. Combine bread crumbs and rosemary; coat bottom and sides of dish with mixture; set aside.
- 2In a large saucepan melt butter, stir in flour, mustard, pepper and allspice. Add milk; cook and stir for 6-7 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Beat egg yolks; stir in about 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture. Return all to the cheese mixture in the saucepan. Stir in ham; set aside.
- 3Using clean beaters, in a large bowl beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gradually pour ham-cheese mixture over beaten whites, folding gently to blend. Spoon mixture into the prepared souffle dish. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 35-40 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven when not quite set; souffle should shake slightly when gently moved. Remove collar from dish; serve souffle immediately.
PER SERVING *
|Calories490Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.